Thursday, March 26, 2009

You Can Call Me A Rookie....

When it comes to being on the water I like to think of myself as a jack of all trades. Although I have no expertise in one paticular field of water activites, I have gotten my feet wet in almost all of them. I like to think that saltwater fishing is my most knowledgable water sport, closely followed by freshwater fishing. Along with fishing I am an occasional skier and an avid knee boarder. These are the more traditional activites that come to mind when you think of things to do on the water. My list of activities does not stop there. I am also a certified diver and love to go both spear fishing and lobstering with diving tanks. Take those tanks off and I enjoy scalloping in shallow water with a snorkel. I guess you can say I have done it all, that was what I thought too, but not so fast.

Last week while enjoying a fishing filled spring break, my father came to me with an idea that i had never heard before: to go shrimping. Supposedly, this time of year the waters of Tampa Bay become infested with shrimp, and apparantly they are rather easy to catch. The reason for the bolding of words is to express to you the feelings I felt when my father told me his wonderful idea of going shrimping. He made it sounds as easy as going through the drive through and ordering a whopper. You would have to know my father to know that he sets big goals and makes them sound extremely attainable, but the truth is they never turn out right.

So here is his "master" plan: We are going to head out on the boat around 7 p.m. Saturday night, head over to some grassy spot in Tampa Bay he said seems like a good place for shrimp to hide, wait tell the sun goes down, and begin shrimping. According to my father shrimp are nocturnal and for optimal success we must be out there at night. I guess this is his reasoning for buying 4 huge spotlights for our shrimping adventures. When looked at from above I am sure that our boat will be so bright it will look like the moon fell into the ocean. So with these lights we are going to shine them into the grass, hopefully see shrimp and dip them up with our nets.

Now do you see where the skepticism is coming from? Let's just say I do not have much confidence in this trip, but I'm going for it anyways. I'm sure there will be a follow up post on Sunday with a comical story describing our adventure. If this post made you hungry for some shrimp, because it made me hungry, here is a link to some good shrimp recipes. So now that you have heard my soon to be a comical adventure, do you have any crazy family adventures of your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment